“Why Does Anthony Volpe Get 1000 Chances Meanwhile?” – Yankees Fans React After Spencer Jones Gets Optioned To Triple-A
· Yahoo Sports
The New York Yankees made a significant roster move ahead of Friday’s series opener against the Tampa Rays by demoting rookie OF Spencer Jones to the minor leagues, protecting the spot for righty slugger Anthony Volpe, and ultimately reactivating infielder Jose Caballero from the injured list.
Since being called up on May 8, Jones has posted a .167 batting average (4 hits in 24 at-bats) with two RBIs and a .426 OPS across 10 games, striking out 12 times in 27 plate appearances.
Visit newsbetsport.bond for more information.
The Bronx Bombers had the option to send down either right-handed batters, shortstop Volpe, or utility player Max Schuemann. Still, they chose to demote Jones, who bats left-handed, considering upcoming matchups.
Fans quickly responded to Jones being assigned to triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, with many criticizing the move for not providing enough opportunities for the talented 25-year-old rookie in the major leagues.
“He was BETTER than Volpe. Minus the errors. WTF?? Why does volpe get 1000 chances meanwhile?” one fan commented.
“I don’t agree with this at all. You’re going to send down Jones, keep Volpe at short, and send Cabby to the outfield while Trent is hurt. I would much rather see Jones playing everyday. He definitely struggled, but his at-bats weren’t bad. He hit a lot of balls hard, just right at people… The strikeouts were high, but so are everyone elses on this team. Tough to see,” another fan commented.
“I don’t care what anyone says, he shouldn’t have been sent down. First you have him face some elite pitching and then sit him down like 3-4 games while also pinch hitting for him in games he plays. Yankees suck at developing prospects,” yet another fan commented.
Some fans expressed a more optimistic view, suggesting that the move could actually help Jones. They believe he will now be motivated to work harder and seek consistent quality at-bats in the minors to earn a return to the major league.
“It’s OK makes him more hungry, he couldn’t consistently hit minor league pitchers, I know this was going to happen. This will make him hungrier to work harder to perfect his craft! We know he can hit the HR, can he drive the key run in. It doesn’t always have to be a HR. Just hit,” one fan commented.
“Tough move, but hopefully he bounces back stronger in Triple A,” another fan commented.
“24 at bats…very small sample size at a time when Yankee bats were asleep everywhere. Better fielder than expected and great athlete. Good prep for next time up. Pump the doomer brakes,” yet another fan commented.
Yankees Manager Aaron Boone Called the Decision on Spencer Jones a Tough One
Speaking to the media at Yankee Stadium on Friday, manager Aaron Boone admitted that deciding on Jones was a tough choice. “It was a really tough call,” Boone said, noting that several meetings had occurred among the stakeholders both before and after Thursday’s series finale against the Blue Jays.
“We had some discussion before [Thursday’s] game, had even more after the game, and then took a while even to make the decision. Just the landscape of who we’re playing, who we’re facing [in] the next week of games, [we] felt like this was the right way to go,” said Boone.
Jones is returning to Triple-A, where he previously hit 11 home runs with a .958 OPS in 33 games before being promoted. Last season, he hit 35 home runs, posted a .933 OPS, and stole 29 bases over 116 games in Double-A and Triple-A, primarily as a center fielder. Back on the field, the Yankees lost the series opener to the Rays, 4-2, on Friday night.
Also read: