Radio station apologizes after announcement of King Charles’ death

· Toronto Sun

A radio station in England issued a groveling apology to listeners after accidentally announcing the death of King Charles.

Radio Caroline in Essex blamed the mistake on technical issues at its main studio.

Visit moryak.biz for more information.

“Due to a computer error at our main studio, the death of a monarch procedure, which all U.K. stations hold in readiness while hoping not to require, was accidentally activated on Tuesday afternoon (May 19), mistakenly announcing that HM the King had passed away,” station manager Peter Moore said in a statement on social media .

“Radio Caroline then fell silent as would be required, which alerted us to restore programming and issue an on-air apology,” he continued.

“Caroline has been pleased to broadcast Her Majesty the Queen’s, and now the King’s, Christmas message and we hope to do so for many years to come.”

Moore added: “We apologize to HM the King and to our listeners for any distress caused.”

How the shocking announcement played out

Radio Caroline was playing the song “What’s Up” by 4 Non Blondes when the music abruptly came to a halt, according to a clip published by The Telegraph .

A man is then heard saying: “This is Radio Caroline. We have suspended our normal programs until further notice as a mark of formal respect following the passing of His Majesty King Charles III.”

The man went on to say: “This is Radio Caroline. His Majesty King Charles III has passed away. As a mark of respect, we will now be playing suitable continuous music until further notice.”

The voice then notes that “news media has confirmed that his Majesty King Charles III has passed away,” before adding, “Consequently, as a mark of respect Radio Caroline is suspending its normal programs.”

The British national anthem was then broadcast.

The77-year-old monarch, however, was actually alive and well, in Northern Ireland for a three-day royal visit with Queen Camilla.

Charles’ cancer recovery

Last December, Charles opened up on live television about his recovery from cancer .

It was in February 2024 that the king revealed his cancer diagnosis, which was detected after undergoing a corrective procedure for an enlarged prostate the previous month, Buckingham Palace previously stated.

“Indeed, today I am able to share with you the good news that thanks to early diagnosis, effective intervention and adherence to doctor’s orders, my own schedule of cancer treatment can be reduced in the new year,” he said in the TV address.

“This milestone is both a personal blessing and a testimony to the remarkable advances that have been made in cancer care in recent years.”

As for Radio Caroline’s gaffe, the Palace has not issued a public statement.

RECOMMENDED VIDEO

Read full story at source