Quick facts on the suspended Permanent Joint Board on Defence
· Toronto Sun

The United States said on Monday that it was “pausing” its participation in the Permanent Joint Board on Defence to reassess the benefits of the organization, accusing Canada of failing to make “credible progress on its defence commitments.”
Here is more on what the board does and how we got here:
Visit somethingsdifferent.biz for more information.
What is the Permanent Joint Board on Defence?
The Permanent Joint Board on Defence (or PJBD) is a senior advisory body on defending North American territory. Known as the Ogdensburg Agreement, it was signed into existence in 1940 by prime minister William Lyon Mackenzie King and U.S. president Franklin Roosevelt as a plan to provide a framework to defend the continent in the event of a Nazi invasion. It’s credited with drawing the U.S., Canada and the U.K. closer together and building American support for the Second World War, which the U.S. didn’t enter until 1941.
What does it do?
After the war, the PJBD played an advisory role in the implementation of the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD), and the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway, among other major projects. It continues to provide a forum for senior diplomatic and military leaders from both countries and advises in politically sensitive matters. The PJBD is seen as an example of historic and continued co-operation between Canada and the U.S.
What has become of it recently?
The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump is turning its back on the PJBD, arguing Canada has failed to live up to its defence commitments and engaged in anti-American rhetoric. So the U.S. Department of War is suspending the advisory body.
RECOMMENDED VIDEO
Why are the Americans mad?
In a series of posts on X , U.S. Undersecretary of War Elbridge Colby admonished Canada, in particular recent comments made by Prime Minister Mark Carney saying that Canada must decouple from the U.S. and seek out new alliances.
“A strong Canada that prioritizes hard power over rhetoric benefits us all,” he wrote. “Unfortunately, Canada has failed to make credible progress on its defence commitments. DoW is pausing the Permanent Joint Board on Defence to reassess how this forum benefits shared North American defence.”
Colby effectively told Canada to knock off the rhetoric and get real.
“ We can no longer avoid the gaps between rhetoric and reality. Real powers must sustain our rhetoric with shared defence and security responsibilities.”
So where does that put us?
NORAD and official NATO defence treaties are still in effect, so if Canada were to be attacked the U.S. and other NATO members would be obliged to come to its defence. Experts say this move by the U.S. is Trump’s way of telling Canada that the U.S. has long had frustrations with Canadian defence spending or what the U.S. sees as the lack of it.
Does America have a point?
They did. Canada was long a laggard in NATO defence spending, budgeting well under the benchmark of 2% of gross domestic product on its military. But that recently changed , with Canada hitting the target last year after a $9.3-billion boost to national defence — which included a pay raise for troops and more money for the Canadian Coast Guard. Canada aims to raise defence spending by 3.5% over the next nine years.